DCA Order No. DCA06-OR-001
DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY AFFAIRS
In re: A LAND DEVELOPMENT REGULATION ADOPTED
ORDINANCE NO. 05-21
The Department of Community Affairs (the “Department”) hereby issues its Final Order, pursuant to §§ 380.05(6), Fla. Stat., and § 380.0552(9), Fla. Stat. (2004), approving a land development regulation adopted by a local government within the Florida Keys Area of Critical State Concern as set forth below.
FINDINGS OF FACT
3. The Ordinance establishes site development standards with a minimum lot area of 4,500 square feet for a single family detached dwelling, unit; 6,000 square feet for to attached affordable housing units; 9,000 square feet for three attached affordable housing units; and 12,000 square feet for four attached affordable housing units.
4. Ord. 05-21 is consistent with the Village Comprehensive Plan.
CONCLUSIONS OF LAW
5. The Department is required to approve or reject land development regulations or portions thereof that are enacted, amended or rescinded by any local government in the Florida Keys Area of Critical State Concern. §§ 380.05(6),
7. “Land development regulations” include local zoning, subdivision, building and other regulations controlling the development of land. § 380.031(8),
8. All land development regulations enacted, amended or rescinded within an area of critical state concern must be consistent with the Principles for Guiding Development (the “Principles”) as set forth in § 380.0552(7), Fla. Stat. (2004). See Rathkamp v. Department of Community Affairs, 21 F.A.L.R. 1902 (
9. Ord. 05-21 promotes and furthers the following Principles:
(a) To strengthen local government capabilities for managing land use and development so that local government is able to achieve these objectives without the continuation of the area of critical state concern designation.
(j) To make available adequate affordable housing for all sectors of the population in the
10. Ord. 05-21 is not inconsistent with the remaining Principles. Ord. 05-21 is consistent with the Principles for Guiding Development as a whole.
WHEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED that Ord. 05-21 is found to be consistent with the Principles for Guiding Development of the Florida Keys Area of Critical State Concern, and is hereby APPROVED.
This Order becomes effective 21 days after publication in the Florida Administrative Weekly unless a petition is filed as described below.
DONE AND ORDERED in
NOTICE OF ADMINISTRATIVE RIGHTS
ANY PERSON WHOSE SUBSTANTIAL INTERESTS ARE AFFECTED BY THIS ORDER HAS THE OPPORTUNITY FOR AN ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEEDING PURSUANT TO SECTION 120.569, FLORIDA STATUTES, REGARDING THE AGENCY’S ACTION. DEPENDING UPON WHETHER YOU ALLEGE ANY DISPUTED ISSUE OF MATERIAL FACT IN YOUR PETITION REQUESTING AN ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEEDING, YOU ARE ENTITLED TO EITHER AN INFORMAL PROCEEDING OR A FORMAL HEARING.
IF YOUR PETITION FOR HEARING DOES NOT ALLEGE ANY DISPUTED ISSUE OF MATERIAL FACT CONTAINED IN THE DEPARTMENT’S ACTION, THEN THE ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEEDING WILL BE AN INFORMAL ONE, CONDUCTED PURSUANT TO SECTIONS 120.569 AND 120.57(2)
STATEMENT CHALLENGING THE GROUNDS UPON WHICH THE DEPARTMENT HAS CHOSEN TO JUSTIFY ITS ACTION OR INACTION.
IF YOU DISPUTE ANY ISSUE OF MATERIAL FACT STATED IN THE AGENCY ACTION, THEN YOU MAY FILE A PETITION REQUESTING A FORMAL ADMINISTRATIVE HEARING BEFORE AN ADMINISTRATIVE LAW JUDGE OF THE DIVISION OF ADMINISTRATIVE HEARINGS, PURSUANT TO SECTIONS 120.569 AND 120.57(1), FLORIDA STATUTES, AND CHAPTER 28-106, PARTS I AND II, FLORIDA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE. AT A FORMAL ADMINISTRATIVE HEARING, YOU MAY BE REPRESENTED BY COUNSEL OR OTHER QUALIFIED REPRESENTATIVE, AND
YOU WILL HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO PRESENT EVIDENCE AND ARGUMENT ON ALL THE ISSUES INVOLVED, TO CONDUCT CROSS-EXAMINATION AND SUBMIT REBUTTAL EVIDENCE, TO SUBMIT PROPOSED FINDINGS OF FACT AND ORDERS,
AND TO FILE EXCEPTIONS TO ANY RECOMMENDED ORDER.
IF YOU DESIRE EITHER AN INFORMAL PROCEEDING OR A FORMAL HEARING, YOU MUST FILE WITH THE AGENCY CLERK OF THE DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY AFFAIRS A WRITTEN PLEADING ENTITLED, "PETITION FOR
ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEEDINGS" WITHIN 21 CALENDAR DAYS OF PUBLICATION OF THIS NOTICE. A PETITION IS FILED WHEN IT IS RECEIVED BY THE AGENCY CLERK, IN THE DEPARTMENT'S OFFICE OF GENERAL COUNSEL,
THE PETITION MUST MEET THE FILING REQUIREMENTS IN RULE 28-106.104(2),
A PERSON WHO HAS FILED A PETITION MAY REQUEST MEDIATION. A REQUEST FOR MEDIATION MUST INCLUDE THE INFORMATION REQUIRED BY RULE 28-106.402,
YOU WAIVE THE RIGHT TO AN INFORMAL ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEEDING OR A FORMAL HEARING IF YOU DO NOT FILE A PETITION WITH THE AGENCY CLERK WITHIN 21 DAYS OF PUBLICATION OF THIS FINAL ORDER.
TRACY D. SUBER
STATE PLANNING ADMINISTRATOR
Division of Community Planning
Department of Community Affairs
CERTIFICATE OF FILING AND SERVICE
I HEREBY CERTIFY that the original of the foregoing Final Order has been filed with the undersigned Agency Clerk of the Department of Community Affairs, and that true and correct copies have been furnished to the persons listed below by the method indicated this 3rd day of February, 2006.
Paula Ford, Agency Clerk
Honorable Robert Johnson, Mayor
Post Office Box 568
Beverly Raddatz, Village Clerk
Post Office Box 568
Nina Boniske, Esq.
Nancy Stroud, Esq.
Weiss Serota Helfman Pastoriza
Guedes Cole & Boniske, P.A.